Monday, March 2, 2009

Action: Federico (Dearly Departed Lizard)



Our first action to draw attention to the newly installed mailbox consisted of a funeral for a dead lizard that we found in the music studio. We asked some poets to help us with the last goodbye. Patrick Rosal prepared a eulogy for the critter and named him Federico Langit (langit means "sky or heaven" in Philipino) and poet Bob Holman chose a song for the lizard's wake. Neat Series made the lizard's coffin, flowers, a painting of Federico as he was best remembered, and a cross.



A funeral was scheduled for the early afternoon of Friday February 27th. Ines performed the lizard's forlorn wife and Teresa officiated. Associate Artists Penny Hutchinson and Paz Tanjuaquio were invited to be present.



Later that day, Holman and Rosal were invited to the wake to perform their contributions to the ceremony. We also invited Associate Artists Guy Richards Smit and Molly Larkey to pay their last respects to Federico. We hollered over for Master Artist James Siena to join us for a pre-dinner toast to our late friend.



Patrick reads his eulogy to Federico at the wake.



Smit dug up old bones between himself and the deceased lizard: he told us Federico died owning him money. Attendees Smit, Holman, Siena and Larkey with "I've Got You Under My Skin" song sheets. Holman led us in singing to the departed, and cleverly switched one of the song's verses to:

"I've got me under my skin
I've got me deep in the heart of me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment